According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, many people are turning to alternative treatments for many illnesses including addiction. There are many reasons why people choose alternative medicine in addition to traditional treatments or instead of traditional treatments.
1. You Suffer from Chronic Pain
If you have chronic pain, some of the alternative treatments allow you to take other pain medications while you are in withdrawal.
2. Methadone and Suboxone Side Effects are Too Severe
Some people find methadone and Suboxone both have too many side effects to deal with.
3. You do not Want to Begin Replacement Drug Therapy
You might not want to use an opiate replacement drug because it seems like you are switching one drug for another.
4. You Cannot Control your Opiate Use
If you take methadone or Suboxone and take opiates, you could find yourself in a dangerous situation. If you cannot stop taking opiates due to habit or psychological addiction, alternative therapies might be right for you.
5. Other Treatment Options have Failed
When other treatments fail, alternative therapies can help.
6. You want to Try a More Natural Approach to Opiate Addiction Treatment
Since chemical addiction is the problem you might want to try an alternative treatment to chemicals.
7. You Do Not want to Use More Medications than Needed
Most alternative therapies do not include adding more medications to the treatment regimen.
8. You Cannot go Cold Turkey
You may relapse if you try to just quit opiates. Some cannot just quit opiates because the withdrawal is so severe.
9. You Suffer from a Mental Illness that also Needs to be Treated
Mental illness treatment usually involves counseling and drug therapy. Methadone and Suboxone might react with the medications you take.
10. You are on Medications that will React with Traditional Opiate Treatments
Several medications react to opiate addiction therapy. If you are on one of the medications that react with opiates you might want to try alternatives.
11. You want to Try a More Natural Way to Treat your Addiction
Most alternative treatments are natural treatments such as herbal remedies and mind strengthening exercises.
12. You Need to Treat your Whole Life Rather than Just the Addiction
Sometimes addiction is deeper than the drugs you take. By treating your whole life and body, you might be more successful than getting away from opiates and addiction in general. This also helps with multiple addictions.
13. Many Alternative Therapies Make you Feel More in Control of your Treatment
When you feel more in control of your treatment, you tend to recovery faster. Sometimes the addiction makes you feel out of control and you need to get the control back. Alternative therapies require more active participation in your treatment.
14. They are Complimentary to Traditional Treatment Solutions
You can use both alternative treatment methods and traditional treatment to help you recover from your drug addiction.
15. Alternative Therapies take a more Positive Approach to Addiction Treatment
Most alternative therapies are positive rather than negative treatments. They take a forward looking approach rather than just a present moment one.
16. You are Not Satisfied with Conventional Medicine
Many people have become dissatisfied with conventional medicine. Alternative therapies can help you when you no longer believe in traditional medicine.
17. You Believe in Mind, Body, and Spiritual Treatments
Alternative treatments believe in treating the whole person not just the addiction.
18. You Cannot take Methadone due to Drug Testing at work
Some positions drug test for methadone. Even though it is a prescription drug and regulated, some employers frown on taking it. In some occupations they do not allow methadone use.
19. Some Alternative Treatments have been Around for Hundreds of Years
Many drug alternatives are ancient. These treatments have worked for centuries and still have a place in modern medicine.
20. Treatment is Easy to Find
Alternative treatment options are easy to find. Many traditional treatment facilities also offer alternative treatments to supplement their overall therapies. In order to find one all you need to do is call 877-743-0081 (Who Answers?).